Oct 21, 2013

Hong Kong Travelogue: Tim Ho Wan ah! (Day 3-9 Jun 2013)

Pardon me for the zip-zappy posts for I was so excited about Hong Kong Travelogue that I posted it before the end of my Gold Coast Morib Travelogue. Now that it had finally came to the end of Gold Coast Morib Travelogue, I shall continue on my Day 3 of Hong Kong Travelogue.

IMG_8933
Big "Tim Ho Wan" signboard at Sham Shui Po

After food hunting in Central and Mong Kok on Day 2, I was pretty much done in Central. The next day was pretty much another day of food hunting and sight seeing, sans shopping errands. This day began with a scrumptious breakfast at cheap Michelin-starred Tim Ho Wan. They have plenty of branches around Hong Kong. The one I went was at Sham Shui Po, Mong Kok.

IMG_8936
Highly Recommended: Crunchy Baked Char Siew Pau (HKD16)

Don't judge a book by its cover. This pale looking char siew pau might seems unattractive but trust me, it was the best char siew pau ever! Imagine the crunchy biscuit shattered into tiny little pieces as you sink your teeth in it and as your teeth sinks deeper, it reaches the juicy and flavourful char siew fillings; don't chew until you have part of the skin and some char siew fillings. It was simply heavenly!! I have NEVER had anything like this in KL.

IMG_8938
Char Siew Fillings

Good thing is the fillings was not skimpy at all. I really love the combination of the textures between the biscuit-like skin and tender char siew sitting in a pool of pork essence. Gah, I want some right now!

IMG_8944
Good Stuff: Fresh Prawn Siew Mai King (HKD24)

Talking about staple dim sum items, siew mai makes one of the top three items. What do you do when you are away from home and happen to be in one of the best dim sum places in Hong Kong? Of course I must try the siew mai and here we are talking about the bouncy prawn wrapped in a mixture of pork and lard.

IMG_8939
Good but not Great: Crystal Har Gao (HKD24)

Besides siew mai, har gao is another staple dim sum that I must try. A glance at the crystal clear skin was promising. However, a bite into it invalidated my first impression. Prawns were all good but the skin was thicker and tougher than I thought it should be (i.e. thin and chewy).

IMG_8946
Good Stuff: Beef Ball (HKD15)

Aside from Celestial Court in Sheraton Imperial KL, another thing you would not see it in Malaysia's dim sum places is beef balls. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to beef balls but to me, this was great! First of all, it was flavourful. Secondly, it did not smell strongly of a dead cow. Thirdly, the ratio of flour and beef was aptly so to present slight chewiness yet allow the beef to shine. Do you eat beef? If it is a yes, then you should try this.

IMG_8942
Good Stuff: Peanut and Pork Rib Porridge (HKD16)

To begin with, I don't usually order porridge in dim sum shop but this is something you should try. The texture whispered a soft promise of smoothness and I was right. It was so silky smooth that it did not feel like porridge at all. Texture aside, it was very flavourful and to what it owed this flavour to? I reckoned it was the doing of pork bones.

IMG_8941
Good but not Great: Ma Lai Kuih (HKD15)

To end my scrumptious meal, I thought a dessert would be great. It was slightly disappointing though when I tasted the first bite of this kuih. Being coarse and dry, the texture was just wrong. However, I was glad that it was not too sweet and fragrant. Worth the calories? Maybe not.

IMG_8943
Mehhh Stuff: Chee Cheong Fun with Honey Glazed Char Siew Fillings (HKD18)

My disappointment was further exaggerated by this chee cheong fun. I thought that Hong Kong's rendition of chee cheong fun would be better from what I get in Malaysia's but I was wrong. It was bland, floury and thick, you might be better off ordering a plate of char siew.

There are always great discoveries and awful encounters. Guess it is part and parcel of being a food adventurer. I really enjoyed the char siew pao, beef balls and porridge and to those who plan to go Hong Kong, you just have to pay a visit to any of Tim Ho Wan's branches. You are less likely to be disappointed :)

Be adventurous!
Hitomi

2 comments:

  1. HiTomi,
    Another great food and travel adventure in HK! I have never tasted char siew pau! From your description it sound very appealing. Here in the States one would have to travel to New York or California where there are large China Towns.

    Some year my wife and I will vist HK and SG. For now I am thankful for your travelogues!

    Your efforts are aiding my list of places to visit on the other side of the Pacific.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Char siew pau is like pork bun in sweet savoury sauce. It was indeed very good, the best I have tried! Make sure you make a trip to Tim Ho Wan!

      Delete

Share This

Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...