Ads

Jun 24, 2013

Hong Kong Travelogue: Spending the night at Kau Kee & Lan Kwai Fong (Day 1 - 7 Jun 2013)

Finally a cooling shower and clean laundry after all the sweat. Feeling refreshing, I made my way to Central to meet up a local friend of mine, Wilson.

IMG_8837
On the way to Central

Being a first timer to take MTR on my own, it was not a tough chore. There are plenty of direction boards that lead you to the right direction. MTR stations and trains are well ventilated and systematic. You wouldn't feel suffocated even in a crowded train. It is also where you want to be at after a walk in the hot and humid summer. At certain MTR stations, you get to tag for HKD2 rebate if you depart or arrive at the same locations. Ain't that cool?


Look at the red and orange lines

There are two MTR lines connecting to Central: Tsuen Wan Line (Central MTR) or Tung Chung Line (Hong Kong MTR). I took the Tsuen Wan Line and reached Central MTR. I exited at H, Alexandra House. First I saw Prada shop on my left, then Ermenegildo Zegna on my right. I was awed.

Looking left and right, high and low, my friend was nowhere to be seen. My feet thought it would be good to have a stroll and enjoy my first evening in foreign land.

IMG_8840
This is Hong Kong's traffic

IMG_8862
If Hong Kong is jam, most likely it is human jam.

Traffic was clear and hardly any jam. All you can see is double decker buses, trams and fierce taxis roaming the street like a boss. Nor forgetting nice cars parking at the side of road. As I walked, breezes blew past me and frankly speaking, I like this feeling of walking on the street without worrying about reckless motor drivers or cars.

IMG_8846
View from Chater Road

Soon, the text came in, paging for my location. How could I tell besides that I was along the Chater Street? Thank goodness for my One2Free data plan, else he would have difficulty looking for me.

It did not take me long to realise that this Hongkie friend of mine is not so Hongkie after all. He doesn't know the streets well as he doesn't eat Chinese food. So the two lost birds relied on Google Map and Foursquare to find our dinner place, Kau Kee Restaurant, at Gough Street.

IMG_8851
Finally my Kau Kee!

One thing you have to bear with in Hong Kong: there is always queue at famous eateries but if you come in small pax, you get tables easily. Actually, I really don't mind sharing table as it gave me the sense of blending in to the local culture.

IMG_8858
Beef brisket mihun soup (HKD36) :)

We ordered beef brisket mihun soup and curry beef tendon and brisket thick noodle. To begin with, I liked the beef brisket mihun soup very much as the soup base tasted of beefy goodness and mihun absorbed all of them generously. Beef brisket was pretty lean, soft along with slight resistance. Unfortunately, there were only 6 pcs of brisket in a bowl.

IMG_8857
Curry beef tendon and brisket with thick noodle (HKD 36) :(

On the other hand, this curry beef noodle fared badly to my standard. I have to declare that I am never a friend of tendon and the fact that there were more tendon than brisket. Not only that, the curry base was too spicy, even to my Malaysian standard. One thing did right about this noodle was the thick noodle resembled thick wantan mee wasn't too bad to go with curry. Both of us did not finish half of it :(

IMG_8861
The famous Lan Kwai Fong

After the heavy dinner, we walked to Lan Kwai Fong and found ourselves cosy in Zinc, which is reasonably priced during happy hour and plays good music. There is a big Buddha temple bell hanging right on top of the entrance, which I felt it was inappropriate and even despising.

IMG_8860
Signature Flirtini (HKD55-60 during happy hour)

After flipping through the menu, I decided to go with something sweet, i.e. Signature Flirtini, made of vodka, pineapple juice, champagne, raspberry liquor and fresh raspberries. It turned out to be a brilliant choice; it was very good, especially with the smashed fresh raspberries. No doubt It was a lady drink, being red, sweet and sexy *lip smacking*

Before the happy hour ended, I decided to have a pint of Guinness draft and it turned out to be an awful choice. Not only the foam was not smooth, the brew tasted metallic and just bad for my picky tongue. DON'T order them!

IMG_8872

We left around 10.30pm and got to the ferry terminal on Hong Kong Island. The view overlooking Hong Kong mainland was simply beautiful; the neon lights brimming the night sky, so bright that the cloud was milky white. The wind brushed against us was simply calming. No doubt a good place to have some me-time. Also, if you try to kill yourselves, you can try to jump into the sea. Just be careful with the obstruction. LOL!

IMG_8870
The bokehlicious

By the time we were leaving, the ferry terminal was still operating. We took a 5min ride and reached Tsim Sha Tsui, where there were still quite a crowd there to take photo with the big ducky. I thought it would be good to take one first, in case the next round I come in the daytime, it is worse (and I was right).

By the time we reached Tsim Sha Tsui, it was past midnight but thankfully, Tsuen Wan Line operates until 1.22am. Stay tune for Day 2's food hunt!

IMG_8881
The ducky and the duck face from yours sincerely

13 comments:

  1. HiTomi,

    HK has a reputation for being a shoppers paradise. Every type of store, high end goods occasionally at bargain prices.

    The food scene in HK covers much territory, likely more than you could sample in a few days.

    That last photo is just so, so ...ducky!

    Aack, that is a lame pun, sorry1

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      I didn't get to shop much as I had limited budget. Nonetheless I managed to cover most of the food places :)

      Delete
  2. I only remember one thing: ducky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now gone for good from the water territory of Hong Kong. I'm lucky to catch it the last few days :)

      Delete
  3. Y U NO SHOP kaw kaw? Hahaha... it will take a while for me to get used to saying MTR in HK instead of MRT.... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main purpose of this trip was not to shop kaw kaw lol

      Delete
  4. HitOmi,

    An interesting sidebar developing over what to call the local rapid transit system. In SG, the MRT, in HK the MTR.

    Here in North America, most rapid transit systems or light rail as they actually are, go by a variety of acronyms indicating the city or region served.

    However most are called by generic names, such as subway or metro system.

    Chicago for example has a light rail system, nicknamed the "L". Simple yes.

    Washington D.C.s regional light rail/subway system is called The Metro by most riders. LosAngles has B.A.R.T. aka Bay Area Rapid Transit system.

    Let's just wait for the next train, or is that the next car, or maybe....

    So confusing!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      You are very funny indeed, even on the very factual fact on the names of transportation system.

      However in Malaysia, the best way to commute around is a car. In KL, you can do monorail.

      Delete
  5. HitOmi,

    Where I live a car is the best way to travel. No rapid transit or light rail system. The closes light rail system is in Detroit and that system runs only around an in town loop.

    There is a regional system of buses available, Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation (SMART), one has to wait at the stops, schedule time for transfers, but one can travle across the region, albeit slowly. http://www.smartbus.org/Pages/default.aspx.

    Away from major population centers, New York, Chicago or Los Angeles, there are few transprotation options. With tens of thousands of miles or roadway the car is still the best way to travel average distances in the States.

    One can check on traffic conditions around our State by visiting http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/cameraviewer.aspx.

    In many areas, bicyle trails are being developed. This has been going on for some years. Depending on where one lives one can be closer or farther to a dedicated bicycle trail that eliminates sharing the road with cars and trucks.

    Happy and safe travels!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      I guess I have to give this a pass until one day, I am in US :D
      I plan to migrate with bf. Still long long way to go :(

      Oh yea, there is a US intern in KPMG came from Atlanta to KPMG Malaysia.
      Unfortunately I have already left the firm.

      Delete
  6. HiTomi,

    No longer with KPMG! Can you tell us who your new employer is now?

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a secret until 15th July. Stay tune!

      Delete

Share This

Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...