Apr 24, 2011

Waking up to Goodness of Malacca

It was chilly in the morning
Dressed in a beige singlet with a short, it was barely sufficient to keep me from shivering
The soft morning sun found its way through the sheer white drapery and landed on the edge of the king size bed
It was subtle, and caressing.
I love the sun that way.

His body was warm, and smelled like a baby
I whispered "Morning" into his right ear while holding him against me
Watching him rubbing his eyes and getting over his sleepiness
The feeling was indescribable

He is the gift from Heaven
He is my exclusively owned goodness of Malacca
It is love penetrating in the air
I am loved and in love

And here we were in the historic land of Malacca
Loaded with tonnes of good food, scattered around various corners of ancient looking coffee shops, and new commercial places.
It was our mission to hunt them down, one by one.

First stop : Bukit Cina Soya Bean House

The silky smooth texture and promising goodness of soya bean, topped with coarsely blended chunks of peanuts
Indeed, it is a good kickstart of the day.

Every scoop of tau fu fa carelessly brushed through the tip of tongue and down to the throat in immediate second.
Oops did I just swallow something?

The sugar is not too sweet but goes very well with the crunching peanuts topping.
It is unconventional, and refreshing!
This is His.


I ordered this Pumpkin tau fu fa instead.

Check out the texture of the Pumpkin paste – it is original and undiluted.
Every single fibre was eagerly registering their presence the moment my tongue tentatively made the first contact with it.
The only thing is it is a little too sweet to my liking.
In fact, it would be better if it is presented in the shape of Tai Chi!


Second stop : Restaurant Sup Lembu Tangkak

*Sup Lembu Tangkak - Tenderloin Meehoon *

Suspicious I was, looking at the thin cutting of tenderloin.
It was not attractive - too lean, and chunky.
 
Nicely placed in the spoon was the overflowing mee hoon that struggling to maintain its balance while soaking in the refreshing herby sup lembu; and most importantly, a piece of tenderloin to complete the visual.

A complicated taste that I could not comprehend
The soup is made in such a way it allows mee hoon to absorb its essence of the soup, but not too much to dry up the whole “reservoir”

Despite the non fattening looking slim cut, the tenderloin did not pose a challenge to an old man’s ability to swallow it without suffering from a hardcore battle.
 
The tenderness of tenderloin, the richness in flavors, and the gracious amount of serving
Totally worth the bucks we were paying. 
 
 
Third stop : Nancy's kitchen

* Pongteh *

Pork lover, this is your call!
This is the taste of Nyonya that you ought not to miss.

The unique taste of the gravy fully invaded the tiny cells of pork and potatoes
It was braised to perfect tenderness yet locked in the juiciness of the meat.
Personally I would prefer thicker gravy that goes very well with white rice, alone; leaner meat with inter layering fat that makes the pork bouncier.


Fourth stop : Jonker 88

* Cendol *

After an awesome Nyonya expedite, time for some mouthwatering and chilling dessert that would melt instantly in the blazingly hot afternoon sun!

Look at the coarse texture of the shaved ice, drizzling with thick gula Malacca and coconut milk
Could you smell it now?

Being tasteless on its own, both Gula Malacca and coconut milk makes the shaven ice much interesting and sought after.
For some unexplained reasons, I love the slight after taste bitterness of Gula Malacca, perfectly accentuated with the fragrance of coconut milk.

How I wish if the ice is much finer that instantly melted in your mouth; more oozing goodness of Gula Malacca to penetrate every bit of the shaven ice.
Even He said this is not as good as how it used to be.
I seconded.


Fifth stop : Hong Sheng coffee shop

* Sarawak Wantan Mee *

Wantan Mee is never my choice of breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Reason being, I do not fancy the idea of having the overdosed thick soy sauce in my food.
Omitting the black soy sauce makes Sarawak Wantan Mee much appealing to me

The trick to a good wantan mee – after cooking in the boiling water, dip it into the cold water to cool it down – to retain the chewiness of the noodle
BUT that is if it is not overcooked at the first place :p
It is all about skill and master of timing.

Visually, both Red and Green create a well rounded harmonic presence.

Tossed with little pinch of sesame oil, the noodle is bland but fragrant.
Ate with the homemade chili sauce of intense spiciness and sourness, it was a BOMB to the tastebud.
Effect of pickled green chilies can never be comparable to the sensational blast of flavor of the uniquely made chili sauce
None of those wantan mee I have tried is close to this!

One teaspoon of chili sauce would never satiate the hunger in me that craves for that spiciness.


Sixth stop : Nadeje

* Original Mille Crepe *

My first impression when I first heard of Mille Crepe is never good.
People told me it is like layer cake.
They never know how much dislike I have against layer cake that is injected with artificial flavoring.

This one is different from the layer cake I used to know.
Layer by layer of paper thin crepe is stacked after one another, separated by just a light cream with very mild sweetness.
The texture is close to eating a mousse cake.

Original mille crepe is nothing fancy in presentation but it requires more effort in making it than savoring the humbleness.

Different variations of mille crepe are nothing new to my list of “Savories” embedded in my head.
Weird as it may sound, I could not recall how they taste like as much as this Original Mille Crepe.
This is by far the BEST I have ever tasted.


* Chocolate Orange Mille Crepe *

Orange and chocolate has never been my favorite combination.
It does not complement one another like how Cheese and Egg do.
But somehow He decided to opt for this odd choice, as there is not much choices we had by the time we reached there.

Appealing it may seem, but it further strengthen my perception that “ORANGE AND CHOCOLATE IS A DISASTER MATCH”


Seventh stop : Ban Lee Siang satay celup

* Satay sauce steamboat *

This is no other than another Malacca specialty that people would not mind queuing from 5pm to 9pm just for a dip into the satay sauce steamboat.

It diverges from the conventional steamboat with plain chicken soup to tomyam, from tomyam to herbal soup, and now from herbal soup to Satay sauce.

Look at the flirtatious devil inhabited in the sauce
How many would be determined enough to say “NO” to it?

Much diluted than usual satay sauce, it is spicier with a tinge of sour, but less saturated with peanuts.
The spiciness is further amplified by the boiling heat and I could not stand having it more than 5seconds on my mouth.
Swallow it without chewing, by all means!


You will find yourself spoiled by the wide varieties of “Lok lok”sticks which kept chanting “Pick me Pick me Pick me” whenever your eyes landed in their directions.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Are you ready for the maximum “DING DING RED ALERT” level of Cholesterol and daily calories intake?

Eighth stop : Pak Putra
* Tandoori Chicken *

It was a blessing in disguise
Pak Putra is not in our initial plan

It was rainy on Saturday evening
We were planning to go for Satay Celup for dinner
The hotel we stayed over recommended us to go for “Pak Putra” for a quick grab instead.
The moment they mentioned the name, He immediately said “It is so freaking near us!”
And so we went the next day before we headed back to KL.

Famous for its tandoori chicken, we ordered none other than it and also the normal naan.

It was a soft penetration when my fork made the first contact right into it.
Even before I put it into my mouth, I can feel my saliva oozing out to welcome the wanted guest.
Never have I eaten a Chicken with the texture of Fish.
It was that good that we could not help but to raise our hands and shout, "Satu lagi!"

Made with flour, yeast, and nothing else, a small shredded piece of naan, wrapped with tandoori chicken, none of the guilt strikes me as it is perfectly healthy!
Minimal oil, full of protein and also nothing close to tasteless
*Smug*


Ninth stop : Joes Only One Mango Juice

Located at the Portugese Settlement beachside shoplot, Joes sells his Only One mango juice, only after 6pm.

Even if you are thirst to death while walking along the beach at any other time before 6pm, you have no choice but to succumb to other sweetened-and-non-original juices or drinks you can get from the other stalls.

It is not sweet,
It is not sour,
It is BOTH Sweet and Sour
This is what I called the BLAST!

If you don't fancy anything sourish, you should EVEN give this a try!
Made with both sourish and ripen mangoes, topped with right amount of crushed ice, and no no no syrup
This is the BEST juice I have ever tried
It triggers both zones of my tastebuds so excessively that I wish I have another one!


Would you be expecting me to savor all these within one day?
That is a mad crazy idea!
So if you plan to get a weekend getaway which full of food, and walk around thing,
Malacca is definitely the right place!

14 comments:

  1. Woah!! Mouthwatering foods :) Thumbs up for Malacca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad can find get pak putra. Not many outstation ppl go there, but amongst locals, its a hotspot.

    Next time try garlic cheese butter naan or kashmiri naan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

    I mean you, and your post. And the pictures are pretty too :)

    I still remember that feeling. Impossible to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Joanne Lai :
    teehee, eat eat eat then burn burn burn!

    @ Chan :
    Yea man! We were so lucky. we did not plan to eat pak putra though :p

    @ Marcky :
    You paint my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HitOmi,

    The food looks SO good!

    COLD!

    Cold in Malaysia!

    I suppose that 23C day would feel cold for you. I would be wearing shorts! It is will only be 12C here today, and for spring that is okay, no shorts however.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ David :
    It was hot afternoon! Goodness I was one tone darker, or maybe two!

    I wish I was at Genting Highland right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want cool, it is 14C outside my window.

    Rain + 14C = COLD!

    Today is a good indoor day here!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, and that Pak Putra place supposedly can match the one in Ampang for legendary tandoori status, served by streetside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yr photographs are so beautiful. btw its always nice to see how ppl see a place from a diff point of view, esp a tourist eye view :)

    my hometown is from malacca but never taken such eye views there. tho i do take some cool shots when traveling 2 other places :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ David :
    I dont mind staying indoor with my bfie though :p

    @ j2kfm :
    I haven try any good one in KL yet! I shall pester marcky hahaha

    @ Quachee :
    hehe, maybe that is why. I am from KL, so I see things differently naturally.

    Thanks for the sweet comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the food and ur photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ shiiteck :
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously your food pictures looked awesome.. Glad you had a wonderful getaway in malacca!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ isaac tan :
    Heee, I can't tell how happy I am :)
    It was the most wonderful trip ever!

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...